Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Letters Of My Name!

I've been wanting to share for awhile all the activities we have been doing to help Tootsie learn the letters in her name.  We were trying a letter of the week type of theme but I found that we were spending A LOT longer than a week on a letter and Tootsie really wasn't that interested.  When it comes to the letters of her name, my name or her dad's name she is very excited so I decided to instead focus on them.  I have a few ideas still to try out but here is what we've done so far.


The letters of her name written on index cards for her to hang with clothespins.



I trimmed some foam sticky letters to make lower case ones.  She "wrote" her name in marker above.



I taped colored hand prints with the letters of her name on them to our wall.  She "high fives" a letter or color as I call it out.  Underneath, we used water colors (food coloring and water) to paint coffee filter flowers.  Tootsie added the circle centers to spell her name.



I wrote the letters of her name on small stones and Tootsie puts them in order.  We tried just lining them up on a small square of paper first but they slid around a lot so then we pressed them in play dough.  It works much better!


Check out Read. Set. Read! for so more great name exploration ideas!

Linking to:



Tot School

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas! I love the flowers and the high fives especially. Great tip on using playdough for the stones. I'm sharing on FB http://facebook.com/ready.set.read. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete