Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Busy Bags

For quite awhile now I have been trying to gather things for Tootsie to do whenever we take longer car rides.  I came across several ideas on Pinterest dubbed "busy bags" and have been stockpiling them to grab on the go.  They came in handy on the drive to grandma's for Easter.  Tootsie is an active girl and really doesn't like long car rides so I packed quite a few items.  Here's a look at those that we took.


A sticky tray!  I taped contact paper sticky side out on a tray and gave Tootsie stray, tubes and foam shapes to create with.  The idea for the sticky board came from Teach Preschool.



Felt cupcakes.  I found the pattern for these at Planet of the Apels.  There are also lots of great busy bag ideas here!



Tootsie gets really frustrated in the car if the things she is working with slide all over so I decided to make her cookie sheet that she usually works on into a felt board when needed.  I glued magnetic strips to the back of a piece of felt that was cut to fit the tray.  I tried using the sticky magnets but the stick wasn't strong enough so when I pulled the felt off, it left the magnets.  Glue works pretty well but I would still be gentle with it.



Connecting egg halves to match the picture.  I wouldn't do this in the car again.  The pieces fell all over and Tootsie got really frustrated!



Lacing dyed pasta.



I blogged about this project here.  Tootsie clips the pins to the correct color.




I laminated several shapes and gave Tootsie magnetic gems and pom poms and wipe off markers to decorated them.



Writer's bag.  I filled this bag with markers, pencils and a few specialty writing items.  Then I added small note pads, different shapes of paper and stickers.



I keep all the items in plastic bags and store them in a resusable shopping bag.  We only use these things on car rides so they stay interesting to Tootsie.  You can also see in the lower left of the photo the alphabet, number and shape Tot Time Notebook I printed from 1+1+1=1.  This one is a favorite that she uses a lot!

We also always take a bag of books and her DVD player.  Sometimes these things are a success and sometimes she burns through them all or doesn't want any of them.  As much as it isn't my favorite thing to do, if the car ride is really long I sit in the back seat with her.

Hope you find something here that helps make your car rides enjoyable for everyone! 

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment