Thursday, May 3, 2012

Buttons

 I keep an old Ball jar of my grandmother's buttons that I received after she passed away on the windowsill in our living room.  I use them for crafts and activities Tootsie is working on but I really like to just look through them from time to time.  Some are rather ugly like the brass looking nautical themed buttons.  Others are romantic and antique looking and you can definitely tell those from the 60's and 70's.  Of course there are your run of the mill extra buttons and a ton of small white ones littering the bottom of the jar.  I've looked at them so many times I know them by heart and it makes me happy to see one on a project that I have given to Tootsie or one of my nieces or nephews.  I was secretly thrilled when Tootsie wanted to dump them out one day and explore.  We got a tray, dumped and I let her take the lead.


After sifting through them for awhile, she started picking out those that match. 


 By the time we were done an hour later my Tupperware cupboard had been raided and lots of sorting had been accomplished!


  

We did this activity a few more times over the next couple of days.  It was a good lesson in sorting, counting and comparing and contrasting but mostly, I loved sharing my grandmother's buttons with my daughter!



Linking to:

Tot School


No comments:

Post a Comment